Hey friends! I wanted to start something new for 2018 and give monthly recaps. This is a place to share a mix of personal and professional things. It keeps me in tune with writing and most importantly remembering what happened in the previous month! This is the January 2018 Recap!
The end of December and January was a lot more laid back than previous months but filled with so many huge blessings and cool times.
The biggest part of January was launching my new website! Everything’s at the same address and everything but I was much overdue for a refresh and I’m so happy with how it turned out! I think the new site represents Mason Photography and myself better as well as some helpful wedding tips! Take a look around here: adammason.com
Secondly, for Sara and I’s first married Christmas, we decided to head to New York City and celebrate there. It’s a little different from us spending time with family, but we wanted to embrace our time off with something meaningful to our first married Christmas. We’ve both been to NYC at various times for work and pleasure, so our list of tourist things to do and places to eat was new and fun!
While in NYC, we saw the Dyker Heights Holiday lights which were mindblowing! Sara found this cool idea and there were so many lights! Although it was cold, walking around a whole neighborhood surrounded by Christmas lights was so cool!
I’m a loyal Hilton Honors member and luckily, we were able to stay in our hotel in the Financial District for only using points! Check out the sweet view from the Millenium Hilton! I think our room was on the 46th floor or so. You can even see the Brooklyn Bridge!
One thing we both wanted to do that would be our “big gift” was see a show on Broadway. I had never been, and tickets were a little crazy but we got GREAT seats for the Lion King on the night before Christmas Eve. It was incredible and brought back a ton of childhood memories watching the movie! We weren’t allowed to take photos during the show, but here are our seats!
New York was awesome overall and even though we only spent four days there it was so fulfilling! Some of the other things we did were see the Fearless Girl statue, visit Central Park, the 5th Avenue Apple Store (I always have to visit there!), the Rockefeller tree, and walk along the Highline!
We had some amazing food too thanks to my friend Rachel Soleil. Some of the highlights were: Cookie DŌ NYC, Vic’s for Christmas Eve and Red Rooster in Harlem for Christmas Day brunch! It was fantastic!
Sara and I hosted a #MasonMovieNight where we invite friends over for laid-back movie-viewing which was fun! We’ve had a few before. For this one, we watched Dunkirk and are currently planning the next one! We said goodbye to clients-turned-friends John & Erika who quit their jobs and are traveling around the world!
A really big thing that happened was Sara officially was accepted into Johns Hopkins University and is one step closer to pursuing a new career in early childhood education. She’s got a lot of classes ahead of her, but this was a big milestone!
Other January things:
- Visited the Renwick Gallery during the government shutdown to see the Murder Is Her Hobby exhibit. It was creepy but cool!
- I lead worship at our home church twice and it was the biggest crowd I’ve ever lead in front of! I was nervous but everyone said it went really well
- Saw “The Post” with Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep. Fantastic movie and such a crucial story during our current political climate. It was one of those movies where at the end the audience in the theatre clapped and cheered!
- Started training for another 5K! It’s slow-going but we’ve got time!
- Watched the New England Patriots go to their 8th Superbowl! I am so excited for this game! Tom Brady played the last game with 12 stitches in his throwing hand! Insane!
- I started my motorcycle training course to officially passed the tests to get my motorcycle endorsement in DC! Now it’s time to find a bike (and a helmet of course!)
January’s Top 5 Mason Photography Blog Posts
These are the most visited blog posts on adammason.com this month! These are always changing but it’s fun to see what is loved the most!
- Jimmy & Mallory’s Chesapeake Bay Beach Club Wedding
- Sam & Janice in Brooklyn
- John & Erika’s District Winery Wedding
- The Best Spots to Instagram in Iceland (I guess folks are researching this a lot this month!)
- Sample Wedding Timeline with a First Look (A helpful free wedding timeline for engaged couples!)
Top 5 The Bearded Tog Podcast Episodes
These were the top-downloaded podcast episodes this month!
- Carl Maynard – Building Authentic Community
- Gary Williams – Racism in the Creative Industry
- Rising Tide & HoneyBook Sexual Harassment Survey Results with Community Support Manager Kait Masters
- The Books I Read That Skyrocketed my Business in 2017
- Why You’re Not Booking & What To Do
Overall an incredibly exciting month! In February I’ve got a few more shoots and am headed to Miami for a photo workshop! Let me know what you think of these monthly recaps and how it could be better!
Follow my day to day on Instagram @masonphotography